A way to thank someone who has given you good advice/solution on a topic

PatrioticAlien

So i've been on a video games forum, where on the forum you can thank any of the people, who comment and other members can aswell. Who have given you good advice, solution(s) to a problem or something alone that line.

The given amount of thanks, shows up on their forum profile and also under their name, aswell as positive green . When they make a suggestion/comment on any topic.   

It works by pressing a thank you button, which is on the button of their comment which is close to where we see the green and red button on here.

I noticed alamy also uses IP board, which (http://forum.warthunder.com/) use.

• 4 months later...

To be serious about this...I appreciate a "thank you" if I have been helpful. Occasionally I am left wondering whether a suggestion has worked or not and I just figure that person didn't have a grandmother to make them write "bread and butter" letters. I'm not a fan of using buttons to communicate. A human being writing their appreciation is greatly appreciated!

Paulette

I understand where you're coming from Paulette, but where a "Thanks for this useful post" button comes in handy is where someone who maybe hasn't contributed to the thread can still add their name easily to a list for that particular comment. (forum names appear under the post) This prevents a thread being clogged up with thank you posts. I would use that style of button whereas I don't use the red and green "reputation" buttons we have here. At the end of the day I'm not fussed and normally just say thanks, however it did work very well on another forum I used to be on.

Sorry Douglas, but I'm with Paulette. I most often give PM thanks (sometimes messages of support or more detailed discussions) to someone who has genuinely helped, and sometimes a forum note to the same effect . . . in that way the person knows where they helped, how they helped, and how they can help others perhaps . . . to me a green arrow says nothing other than . . . ummm . . . well, nothing other than "me too" really. If that's all I want to say, I'll dole out a green arrow, but if I want to actually SAY something (like thank you, or offer support or give advice or even indulge in a bit of constructive criticism), then I SAY it, and prefer to have it actually said to me too.

I for one certainly don't want to see this forum go the way of so many others, turned into a puerile popularity poll with bugger all actual substance--not that your suggestion would make it that of course, but imo it's the thin edge of the wedge.

Oh and I too would accept Paypal . . . principles should only go so far . . .

dd

Sorry Douglas, but I'm with Paulette. I most often give PM thanks (sometimes messages of support or more detailed discussions) to someone who has genuinely helped, and sometimes a forum note to the same effect . . . in that way the person knows where they helped, how they helped, and how they can help others perhaps . . . to me a green arrow says nothing other than . . . ummm . . . well, nothing other than "me too" really. If that's all I want to say, I'll dole out a green arrow, but if I want to actually SAY something (like thank you, or offer support or give advice or even indulge in a bit of constructive criticism), then I SAY it, and prefer to have it actually said to me too.

I for one certainly don't want to see this forum go the way of so many others, turned into a puerile popularity poll with bugger all actual substance--not that your suggestion would make it that of course, but imo it's the thin edge of the wedge.

Oh and I too would accept Paypal . . . principles should only go so far . . .

dd

That's fair enough, we all have our own opinions. As I said it worked a treat on an old forum I used to frequent and certainly much better than what we have here. I never heard anyone complain about it. Anyway, just to be clear, I wont be giving out red or green anon arrows. A red anonymous arrow seems rather cowardly.

An anonymous red arrow IS rather cowardly.

dd

Archived