No, I don't want to chat now. Or ever. Please go away

Phil Robinson

Once again the irritating little 'Chat Now' thing is obscuring data and I can't do anything to get rid of or even move it. Yes, I can do a quick subtraction and work the number it's covering up but it's that irritating little blob that I really want to subtract. Is it just me?

Once again the irritating little 'Chat Now' thing is obscuring data and I can't do anything to get rid of or even move it. Yes, I can do a quick subtraction and work the number it's covering up but it's that irritating little blob that I really want to subtract. Is it just me?

I'm not a chatty type either, but I find that the "Chat Now" tab only shows up on Alamy search result pages, not on pages with data. Haven't seen it get in the way of any data yet. I assume that the box is there for potential buyers who want to discuss prices, etc. 

I'm using Firefox BTW.

• 1 month later...

Irritating isn't it. Not appropriate on a professional site IMO. Cannot see how it adds value. Technology for technology's site. Does it ever get used other than in error?

dov

Dov,

Many many professional organisations right up to some of the largest companies in the world use a similar chat feature on their websites.

Chat is lower cost than voice, and can be more convenient for people who are making enquiries. As a support person (in this case Alamy rep) you could also manage more than one chat session at a time making you more productive.

I use the chat service with my web host (based over in the US - I'm in the UK) at no cost to me, I can send them links, images - they can drop me code snippets back - all without any disruption if others are trying to work around me. 

If I put myself in the position of being a BUYER then having a chat option to get assistance on using the site, or in requesting advice on certain images would be a completely valid reason to use it - anything that makes it easier for people to BUY from Alamy is a good things as far as I am concerned.

It seems to me it is a handy way for buyers to get questions answered quickly. Picking up a phone can seem like more trouble. I agree with Mike -- though I am sometimes annoyed by the thing.

Paulette

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a chatty type either, but I find that the "Chat Now" tab only shows up on Alamy search result pages, not on pages with data. Haven't seen it get in the way of any data yet. I assume that the box is there for potential buyers who want to discuss prices, etc. 

I'm using Firefox BTW.

You are right, and I use Firefox too

Archived