When in doubt whether an image contains property that needs release, I generally err on the side of caution and check YES.

But here's an example of situation I'm not clear about.

Does an image such as macro of American Flags reasonably need a property release (for the American Flags) for commercial use

Thanks! Ann

Interesting question and I see the difficulty. My own thoughts would be no it does not need a property release. The flag is not "owned" by any body in particular apart from the American nation as a whole.

Kumar

Thanks so much for sharing your reaction, Kumar.

It does seem so generically designed and rendered that I wonder if one could really identify it as from "Company X' rather than Companies Y, Z, A, B, C....

Me, personally...I would mark as RM. Somebody manufactured the item and even if it is generic looking, under Alamy's rules and from their perspective it is still someone's property. I don't know if they look at our images that way, but still considering meself a newbie in this field, I err on the side of caution.

(I'm NNW about three miles from that point for a rough guide as to how far I take that caution judgement).

That's only my view offered as to how I view my images and what licence should be attached to them. I do have RF images but few where people or property are visible. Example is wild rabbit and only grass visible in whole image.

If this is no help...I'm sorry.

If it is of help...I'm happy.

Krisken

Hi Krisken - Thanks for responding! I need to clarify my question.

I set virtually all my images as RM, and Macro of American Flags is RM. I was wondering whether or not to check the box that it contains property that requires a property release. Are they generic looking little paper American Flags or reasonably identifiable as made by a particular company?

[searching RF images for "American flag" gets over 10,000 hits, including many thousands with flags manufactured by unidentifiable entities.]

- Ann

Me, personally...I would mark as RM. Somebody manufactured the item and even if it is generic looking, under Alamy's rules and from their perspective it is still someone's property. I don't know if they look at our images that way, but still considering meself a newbie in this field, I err on the side of caution.

(I'm NNW about three miles from that point for a rough guide as to how far I take that caution judgement).

That's only my view offered as to how I view my images and what licence should be attached to them. I do have RF images but few where people or property are visible. Example is wild rabbit and only grass visible in whole image.

If this is no help...I'm sorry.

If it is of help...I'm happy.

Krisken

mmmm - I see your point. If it was just a question of the use of the American flag, then I stand by my original comment. However if the manufacturer can clearly identify his flags from your photo because of the type of stick they are on, or some similar method, then it would be important to leave the photo as RM, . I guess it comes down to how many manufacturers make those flags (the problem is, esp in the US, that one manufacturer could say its their flags even if it wasnt, so best not to have it in an advert, and therefore best to say its RM, and "No" to property release

Sorry - have rambled a bit....

Kumar

No property release required. You will see lots of RF images with prominent Stars and Stripes from the commercial agencies.

In general, manufacturers rights can only be given (if applied for) for items that are not 'everyday or common'.

You're welcome, Ann.

From the answers given it seems to boil down to you as to how you mark your images. It's still a grey/gray area for me and I'm ultra cautious about the RM/RF thing.

Krisken

Archived