Is anyone one else thinking what, Wait, another a7 series camera? One word WoW. Okay it's more of videographer camera but at least sony is on the right line for ideas.

ISO upto 409,600

35mm 12.2MP

4k recording

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/vq5f/index.html

Cant wait to see what sony is going todo in the all new a77ii (the replacement for the A77)

I like the sound of high ISO performance but at 12.2mp it would be too small a sensor. A shame really as I love shooting with available light. I would have considered this as a second camera with maybe the 35mm. Unfortunately though, there are a number of agencies I submit to that require a min of 50mb 8bit tiff. I am allowed to up-scale but only by 5-10% so it leaves me short in resolution. If they stretched it to 16mp then that would be enough to play with. That's my min working resolution really.

Also, while the size of the A7/r/s is very nice they need to beef out their native lens range before I could consider one as my main camera. Something like a 21mm, 35mm, 85mm, 70-300m FF equivalents and as a bonus, a good 28-75 zoom. At FF, I'd want the primes to be at least f/1.8 or f/2 though. 

One thing to note mind, to record 4k on the A7/s you need a separate recording device to store it. It won't store 4k video on the memory card, only HD.

Just did a calculation for the uncompressed 4k, 120 second (2min) clip  would need 71GB!  

i like the idea of a7 series, but unfortunately i'm not going to switch to e-mount.  just found some images (see link) shot at iso 3200 and 12000  WoW i really am impressed.    

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-a7s-the-morning-after-pros-and-cons-and-a-sar-readers-poll/

i have a friend who does video stuff he linked me to this site ages ago which calculates the size from the camera senor

http://www.hdslr-cinema.com/tools/filesize.php?w=3840&h=2160&d=8&fps=24.000&cust_%0D%0Afps=&s=180

7s 4k uses 3840/2160, i'm skeptical if the 7s uses uncompressed 4k. so i'm waiting for some Independent companies to review the 4k. 

But it cannot record 4K without an external recorder and that's (Atamos Shogun) not due for release until around September, by a third party. The recorder will be "under $2000".

I for one will be spending my money with Panasonic for daring to "blow open" 4K at a price joe public can afford (1600-1700 USD).

I think the Sony is a knee jerk reaction to follow Panasonic and theres a lot more to follow as all the camera companies realise they need to offer 4K if they are offering video.

But it cannot record 4K without an external recorder and that's (Atamos Shogun) not due for release until around September, by a third party. The recorder will be "under $2000".

I for one will be spending my money with Panasonic for daring to "blow open" 4K at a price joe public can afford (1600-1700 USD).

I think the Sony is a knee jerk reaction to follow Panasonic and theres a lot more to follow as all the camera companies realise they need to offer 4K if they are offering video.

Wow.... if it turns out to be around $1500 - $2000 for the recorder it would sink without a trace (for 4k video use) the Panasonic would be your first choice at $1700 all in. Just getting into video clips etc so keeping a close eye on how this develops!

Archived