Re Rank? or a bad month for Zooms?

Has there been a re-rank recently, or is it, that I am having a bad month? The number of views on my images is about normal, but the number of zooms has been almost zero this month, consequently my CRT is way down on the Alamy average! A bad month, a re-rank, or both?

There was a re-rank in mid-February, the first one for quite a while. It may be that you are just noticing the effects of this.

My rank improved at that point and this has resulted in a noticeable increase in the number of views I'm getting. Alas, there has been no corresponding increase in zooms  I'm running at about 0.33% which is lower than I would expect. 

Has there been a re-rank recently, or is it, that I am having a bad month? The number of views on my images is about normal, but the number of zooms has been almost zero this month, consequently my CRT is way down on the Alamy average! A bad month, a re-rank, or both?

I don't see how rank has much to do with zooms.  Rank will impact whether your images are viewed or not.  Once viewed, rank per se is out of the equation, so that zooms relate to the appeal and relevance of your image to the buyer.

I don't see how rank has much to do with zooms.  Rank will impact whether your images are viewed or not.  Once viewed, rank per se is out of the equation, so that zooms relate to the appeal and relevance of your image to the buyer.

I would argue rank has quite a lot to do with zooms. If has as happened with me, an improvement in rank increases the number of views, then, as more of my images are being seen by potential buyers,  I would expect to see an increase in the actual number of zooms I get, in the same proportion as the increase in the number of views (giving a CTR which remains the same).

It could further be argued that an improvement in rank might lead to a slight improvement in CTR, on the grounds that with an improved rank, as one's images being returned earlier in any given search they are a little more likely to be zoomed. The is because the first images returned in any search are looked at more closely because the searcher feels they are more likely to find a relevant result in the first page or two. Subsequent pages of results (if looked at at all) are therefore marginally less likely to be zoomed.

This effect is likely to be only apparent when seen over a very large number of views and zooms (certainly more than I get with my very modest portfolio) but logic suggests it will be so.

I would argue rank has quite a lot to do with zooms. If has as happened with me, an improvement in rank increases the number of views, then, as more of my images are being seen by potential buyers,  I would expect to see an increase in the actual number of zooms I get, in the same proportion as the increase in the number of views (giving a CTR which remains the same).

It could further be argued that an improvement in rank might lead to a slight improvement in CTR, on the grounds that with an improved rank, as one's images being returned earlier in any given search they are a little more likely to be zoomed. The is because the first images returned in any search are looked at more closely because the searcher feels they are more likely to find a relevant result in the first page or two. Subsequent pages of results (if looked at at all) are therefore marginally less likely to be zoomed.

This effect is likely to be only apparent when seen over a very large number of views and zooms (certainly more than I get with my very modest portfolio) but logic suggests it will be so.

. . . perhaps . . . but the OT OP stated quite clearly that his views were about normal but his zooms had been almost zero. Rank has no part in that particular machination methinks.

dd

I'm with you John. Having a very bad month - views down 30% - no zooms - no sales.  :angry:

Allan

OT, younger daughter got engaged this morning!

- Ann

Congratulations Ann.

Allan

Thank you, Allan - it's been lovely to finally get some seriously happy news this year....

Zooms?  Good month.  Lots of sales, best one £142 ($236) net.  And some still to be reported.

Hang on ... this is Alamy.  Oh dear, not very good at all.  I can see why people count zooms rather than sales.  Soon it will be views.

"I had two views today!"  "Wow! Amazing! It's so good to hear that,  I haven't had a view for several weeks now".  "Congratulations!  I can only dream of two views!"

While elsewhere seems to be getting better, Alamy slowly gets worse.  I know they don't like this fact publicised or brought to their attention, but with a monthly intake of around half a million images, returns can only go one way for the majority of contribs.  This is an undeniable fact, which I don't think they want or know how to address

RB

Unfortunately there is a hole in this logic. Imprecise searches and multiple meanings of words and word combinations means that all contributors will have hits that are not relevant to the search. The higher your rank, the more of those false hits will appear on the earlier pages, negating any effect of more positive hits.

For five years I muddled along with an average ranking and a CTR above, often significantly above, the average. Since my rank improved at the last re-rank my zooms have remained about the same but my views have rocketed and my CTR has plummeted.

Alan

Views are down.  Zooms are up.  Sales are going well (knock wood).

Much better than I was doing at this time last year.  I hope the momentum continues.

You've got some good news items there, Ed.  Of particular interest to the UK media are social and political issues where the US (or part of) is ahead of the game. Legal cannabis, for example, still a class B in the UK.

I think in its current incarnation Alamy is best for news.  And for archiving those old 6x6s and 135s that aren’t going anywhere else – what I do.  I can’t see any future for regular stock, especially the kind of regular stock people were doing 20-30 years ago: Gardens, boats, birds, castles at dawn, churches at sunset, happy couples without releases etc.

RB

Robert, I have two images licensed this month - one is from the legalization of cannabis and the other is a "non-editorial" business use of another newsworthy event that happened about two years ago.

I have 9 zooms (which is higher than usual for me) - two are of a cat over white, one is of burrowing owls, one is of a local museum (I was bored one day and took a walk), and the other 5 are from news events I've covered - a theater shooting, a beer festival, and a flood.

I think variety is the key as 1/3 of my particular zooms are not news or editorial at all.

This is not my experience Joseph.

Rank has a fairly direct impact on my views.  Zooms may be slightly higher due to many more views, but the relationship is nowhere near direct.  With more views (higher rank) my CTR will go down, all other things being equal.

Robert, I have two images licensed this month - one is from the legalization of cannabis and the other is a "non-editorial" business use of another newsworthy event that happened about two years ago.

I have 9 zooms (which is higher than usual for me) - two are of a cat over white, one is of burrowing owls, one is of a local museum (I was bored one day and took a walk), and the other 5 are from news events I've covered - a theater shooting, a beer festival, and a flood.

I think variety is the key as 1/3 of my particular zooms are not news or editorial at all.

Ed - If we might presume that a sale is worth 10 zooms, then your news has completely trounced the rest by a factor of 25 to 4

RB

Archived