Great Article on Releases - with Alan Capel Commenting

Good, sensible article but 99/9% of it is common sense and already what all professional photographers should know and be aware of I think. You should also be aware of variations from country to country and no matter what the legalities of needing releases or not may be, a smack in the mouth from an irate subject in the street probably means they won't sign one even if asked nicely! 

Thanks, Ed.

I very much agree with Dan Heller here:  MRs are a waste of time and money – unless you are a dedicated commercial pro and are known to be such or are supplying ... (can’t go there, new forum rules).  They might make sense for some editorial usage however, where people are very prominent, for sensitive issues or potential cover use, assuming that costings are realistic.

While in commercial photography people win hands down over other subjects/objects, there is a healthy demand (in relation to supply) for other types of imagery.  Just look through any micro site and see what brain-dead rubbish passes for ‘conceptual’ imagery, then extrapolate from that what the level might be at a top ... (probably can’t go there either).  It’s also worth remembering that commercial image-making isn’t just about happy smiley people or positive life-enhancing content.

RB

I wonder why they chose two experts in the US rather than a broader geographical spread of expertise. MRs for commercial use may be a virtually universal need, but which countries have different requirements for editorial imagery (e.g. France and Hungary)?

I'd like to see similar clarity on PRs, but again it would need to relate to different countries, not just the Land of the Litigious. I tend to play safe and often put 'need PR', 'don't have one', where I'm probably being over-restrictive.

Archived