Photomerge and Digitally Altered

A while back I checked with MS whether the use of PS Photomerge requires that I tick Digitally Altered and the answer was - yes.  I use Photomerge occasionally for stitching panoramics but more often when vertically stitching for architectural images to correct the verticals. For examples see - DFXAHX and DTH1X8.

I asked MS because I felt the definition of Digitally Altered wasn't fully clear on this matter. I can see that the re-positioning of pixels in Photomerge is digital altering but it isn't a false manipulation of the scene, if anything I'm using Photomerge to make the scene more real, in terms of architectural geometry.  

What do people reckon and, following MS advice, should all panoramic images also be ticked Digitally Altered if using Photomerge?  Not wishing to stir up anything, especially as new here :-), but interested to hear a range of views. 

If the only thing you did to DTH1X8 was correct the verticals, then no, it's not digitally altered.

I took two images, the upper of which has the verticals corrected by Photomerge when stitched together with the lower image so long as the lower image is at level. The resulting image is therefore both an auto correction and a merge of two images. I used the same approach in both examples posted. Does that change your view?

Alamy's 'contributor help' page states....

Whilst many images may be altered to a certain degree, if the original scene has been changed significantly we define it as digitally altered. This includes adding, moving, or removing items and major changes to saturation, contrast and levels. Essentially, a digitally altered image is a distorted image of the original scene.

I don't see stitching panoramas as changing or distorting the scene at all but merely expanding it.  Nor do I see correcting verticals as a distortion - as the term implies, more of a correction than a distortion.  So, I've never ticked the box in either of these cases.

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/digital-image-types.asp

If ALL i have done is stitched images, i answer no and make a note in the description field that the image was created from xx number of images..

If i do a bit more (i.e. Cloning, which is quite common in this sort of work), i answer YES. I describe in the description field that the image was created from multiple images and describe what was cloned out . (Im assuming that the buildings are recognisable subjects)

If ALL i have done is stitched images, i answer no and make a note in the description field that the image was created from xx number of images..

If i do a bit more (i.e. Cloning, which is quite common in this sort of work), i answer YES. I describe in the description field that the image was created from multiple images and describe what was cloned out . (Im assuming that the buildings are recognisable subjects)

I do exactly the same - it seems like common sense to me. The distortion associated with stitching is no more scene-altering than correcting verticals which is now done automatically in Lightroom if that option is checked. If I do any cloning aside from dust spots and specks in the sky, then I tick the digitally altered box.

Archived