Wacom Graphic Tablets

Hi

At long last, I have decided to purchase a Wacom Graphic Tablet, mainly for selection works in PS.

From experienced users, I would like some advice as to which size is better.  I read it (I think in one of PS books) that it's easier to work with smaller ones as you don't have to move the pen around so much, which makes sense.

Which would you recommend, A5 or A6 (effective area, not the actual overall size)?

Thanks in advance.

Sung

I've been using Wacom (and Cintiq on occasion) for many years, by a country mile I find the medium size Intuos the optimum for Photoshop work.

The small ones I find just too small/inefficient and the bigger ones require too much large arm movement for PS work - fine for art work but I find my shoulder can ache.

Pen pressure levels, I am yet to be madly convinced of how effective the larger levels work out to be.

Cintiqs, if you can afford, are now really good. The older models had a visual offset and it was difficult to work with IME. The new ones are much, much better - the smaller 13" one I tried and found it too small. Not sure, unless you are doing very high-end.

I use intuos 5 touch in medium size (A4 size ) and once used to it I wouldn't give it up for anything....Some people prefer the smaller graphics tablets some prefer the larger.... for my use I tried a smaller one but prefered the A4 model as I felt it worked better with detail...which ever you get I am sure you will love it..

I've been using Wacom (and Cintiq on occasion) for many years, by a country mile I find the medium size Intuos the optimum for Photoshop work.

The small ones I find just too small/inefficient and the bigger ones require too much large arm movement for PS work - fine for art work but I find my shoulder can ache.

Pen pressure levels, I am yet to be madly convinced of how effective the larger levels work out to be.

Cintiqs, if you can afford, are now really good. The older models had a visual offset and it was difficult to work with IME. The new ones are much, much better - the smaller 13" one I tried and found it too small. Not sure, unless you are doing very high-end.

Well, Cintiq is more than I want to pay.  I am thinking about Intuos Pen & Touch.

When you say 'medium', do you mean the actual physical size is 275 x 222 mmm with the effective area 216 x 135mm? This is specification for Intuos Pen & Touch Medium.

Thank you, Geoff.

I use intuos 5 touch in medium size (A4 size ) and once used to it I wouldn't give it up for anything....Some people prefer the smaller graphics tablets some prefer the larger.... for my use I tried a smaller one but prefered the A4 model as I felt it worked better with detail...which ever you get I am sure you will love it..

Hi Steve, 

When you say A4 size, is it the physical overall size of the tablet or the effective size?

Thanks

Hi Steve, 

When you say A4 size, is it the physical overall size of the tablet or the effective size?

Thanks

After a quick scan of the wacom site and finding the one that I use .. the sizes are as follows overall size 380mm X 251mm and effective useable part is 224mm 140mm, I agree with  Geoff about the medium size being optimum for photoshop work.

Well, Cintiq is more than I want to pay. I am thinking about Intuos Pen & Touch.

When you say 'medium', do you mean the actual physical size is 275 x 222 mmm with the effective area 216 x 135mm? This is specification for Intuos Pen & Touch Medium.

Thank you, Geoff.

This is the one I currently use http://uk.shop.wacom.eu/products/intuos/intuos-pro/intuos-pro-medium/580?sPartner=Google-Shopping-Ads&gclid=CIyZjMXllrwCFeXKtAodEkgAfQ

They used to call the tablets by A4 etc but now they are medium etc.

Personally I prefer the Intuos 3, I still have one (may sell it sometime) but the drivers were a pain when W7 came out so I upgraded.

Almost as soon as I started serious PS work I realised that I would get carpel tunnel without one. I now only use a mouse for 3D work or the net.

My experience is that they last forever so it's well worth buying the best one you can afford, i.e. go Intuos over Bamboo etc.

Thanks, Steve.  That makes the effective size of your tablet approx A5 size.  This is where I was a bit confused.  People say small, medium, large or small, but what do they refer to?

Sung

Well, Cintiq is more than I want to pay. I am thinking about Intuos Pen & Touch.

Thank you, Geoff.

This is the one I currently use http://uk.shop.wacom.eu/products/intuos/intuos-pro/intuos-pro-medium/580?sPartner=Google-Shopping-Ads&gclid=CIyZjMXllrwCFeXKtAodEkgAfQ

They used to call the tablets by A4 etc but now they are medium etc.

Personally I prefer the Intuos 3, I still have one (may sell it sometime) but the drivers were a pain when W7 came out so I upgraded.

Almost as soon as I started serious PS work I realised that I would get carpel tunnel without one. I now only use a mouse for 3D work or the net.

My experience is that they last forever so it's well worth buying the best one you can afford, i.e. go Intuos over Bamboo etc.

Hi Geoff

I think you are using the same one as Steve.  It is irritating that they keep changing the names of the models...

Thanks.

Sung

I've been using Wacom tablets for years. Currently have the Medium Intuos 4 and have been more that satisfied with it. So far, I've found the medium to be the best size to use. I found the Bamboo sized tablets (small) to be too awkward to use. The programmable buttons are a real bonus!

Are there any serious advantages to using Cintiq? I know about the price differential, but as I understand it they are two quite different approaches to the same end, and I wonder how the Cintiq approach compares with the Intuous.

dd

I've been using Wacom tablets for years. Currently have the Medium Intuos 4 and have been more that satisfied with it. So far, I've found the medium to be the best size to use. I found the Bamboo sized tablets (small) to be too awkward to use. The programmable buttons are a real bonus!

I think it's now called Intuos Pro Medium.  I have come to a conclusion that this is the sensible size to use.

Thank you for sharing your experience, Duncan.

Are there any serious advantages to using Cintiq? I know about the price differential, but as I understand it they are two quite different approaches to the same end, and I wonder how the Cintiq approach compares with the Intuous.

dd

Cintiq is much more intuitive to use, I found I was much more precise and a lot quicker 'drawing' on the image as opposed to the regular Intuos. It really is more like painting/drawing especially in ergonomics.

IME, it is significantly better/easier for work like brush shading and airbrush/paint work. Not sure you would invest just for pen paths.

thank you Geoff.

dd

Archived