"Dictation" feature on newer Macs for key wording?

Has anyone else with a newer Mac tried using the Dictation software included in Mountain Lion and Maverick operating systems? I just tried it out on key wording and it seems like it might have a lot of potential for simplifying what to me is a very tedious process.

Has anyone else with a newer Mac tried using the Dictation software included in Mountain Lion and Maverick operating systems? I just tried it out on key wording and it seems like it might have a lot of potential for simplifying what to me is a very tedious process.

Thanks for remind me of why I tortured myself on a clean install of Mountain Lion over the summer!

I  have not tried it yet but if you do,please report back!

L

Yes Linda, it might take a little bit of practice and familiarity with the system but so far it works really well. You simply open the dictation application, place your cursor where you want the text to go, and then press the Fn button on your keyboard twice. It starts converting your speech into type when your finished and press the "Done" button. With key wording you have to say "coma" between each word. Like you, I'm better at talking than typing. It's easy to learn the process and correcting any errors is not a problem. Those of you with Mountain Lion or Maverick might want to give it a try.

I don't think I'll use it for keywording, but I do use it on my iPad Mini, for 'jotting down' notes. Only in private, of course: the sight of an elderly man talking to a small computer is not something I want to share.

I can generally dictate a couple of sentences at a time, and even speak the punctuation, so it's become something genuinely useful...

I don't think I'll use it for keywording, but I do use it on my iPad Mini, for 'jotting down' notes. Only in private, of course: the sight of an elderly man talking to a small computer is not something I want to share.

I can generally dictate a couple of sentences at a time, and even speak the punctuation, so it's become something genuinely useful...

John, what dictation app do you use with the iPad? I take it's available from the App Store.

Thanks

Ken

John, what dictation app do you use with the iPad? I take it's available from the App Store.

Thanks

Ken

It's built in (tbh, I didn't even know about it when I bought the iPad Mini). You just have to be online for it to work...

FYI… Update.

The dictation feature works very well with the older version of manage images but not the newer bulk editing 2.4 version. It cut my key wording time in half. With Mountain Lion the spoken dictation goes directly back to Apple where it is transitioned and then turned instantaneously into text, whereas with Maverick, it is all processed on your own computer. Saying or placing coma's between words isn't necessary, as I just discovered the key wording guidelines say it just takes up valuable space. When I first started with Alamy many moons ago, coma's were required. Live and learn.

Archived