Worth a listen..

Julie Edwards

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03phd4f

The Camera Has Attitudes

Episode 1 of 2

Duration:  28 minutes First broadcast:   Monday 13 January 2014

Mick Jagger, Kate Moss, the Kray Twins, Margaret Thatcher, Michael Caine - and, of course, Diana, Princess of Wales. David Bailey's portrait photographs are world famous, instantly recognisable and have charted decades of fashion, celebrity and notoriety.

"You can't be judgmental and be a photographer," Bailey says in the first of two programmes in which he tells presenter, Tim Marlow, how he has gone about producing the images which have defined our times.

On the eve of a major exhibition of his work at London's National Portrait Gallery, Bailey reveals in the first programme how he got started and how the portraiture that shot him to fame makes fashion photography more potent. "I thought the best way to sell the frock is through the girl. If the girl doesn't work, the picture doesn't work," he says.

As he lights Tim's own photographic portrait and selects the backgrounds for the shoot lead to a discussion of the importance of advertising in photography which Bailey has been involved with for over fifty years.

In the central London studio which houses his archive of images, Bailey also reveals to Tim how he made his name with photographs of such stars as Marianne Faithfull and most notably for "Vogue" for which he still works 45 years after his first commission.

"I could do all those fashion pictures in "Vogue" over the phone," he tells Tim. "What lens to put on, what light to use - but it wouldn't be interesting. It would just be like going to work."

And Tim talks to Marianne Faithfull herself about the two striking images of her which Bailey shot - in youth and in later years - and how she regards them now.

As this first programme draws to a close, the first shots of Tim's photographic session with Bailey are taken.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03phd4f

The Camera Has Attitudes

Episode 1 of 2

Duration:  28 minutes First broadcast:   Monday 13 January 2014

Mick Jagger, Kate Moss, the Kray Twins, Margaret Thatcher, Michael Caine - and, of course, Diana, Princess of Wales. David Bailey's portrait photographs are world famous, instantly recognisable and have charted decades of fashion, celebrity and notoriety.

"You can't be judgmental and be a photographer," Bailey says in the first of two programmes in which he tells presenter, Tim Marlow, how he has gone about producing the images which have defined our times.

On the eve of a major exhibition of his work at London's National Portrait Gallery, Bailey reveals in the first programme how he got started and how the portraiture that shot him to fame makes fashion photography more potent. "I thought the best way to sell the frock is through the girl. If the girl doesn't work, the picture doesn't work," he says.

As he lights Tim's own photographic portrait and selects the backgrounds for the shoot lead to a discussion of the importance of advertising in photography which Bailey has been involved with for over fifty years.

In the central London studio which houses his archive of images, Bailey also reveals to Tim how he made his name with photographs of such stars as Marianne Faithfull and most notably for "Vogue" for which he still works 45 years after his first commission.

"I could do all those fashion pictures in "Vogue" over the phone," he tells Tim. "What lens to put on, what light to use - but it wouldn't be interesting. It would just be like going to work."

And Tim talks to Marianne Faithfull herself about the two striking images of her which Bailey shot - in youth and in later years - and how she regards them now.

As this first programme draws to a close, the first shots of Tim's photographic session with Bailey are taken.

Thanks for this. I wonder if this is the photo that Marianne Faithful hates?   http://www.pinterest.com/pin/29625310022695387/

I photographed Marianne in possibly 1990. She was popular when I was growing up;Mick Jagger girlfriend,singer...I was so disappointed she was so nasty to the media that showed up at her book signing. No one really got a good shot,she would not look at us.  She's one of the few of thousands of celebrities I've photographed that I feel was a total waste of mascara just going out of the house.

L

Archived