Distribution percentage

I made about 350 sales last year. I opted out of the distribution deal because I cannot agree that the distributor should get a better percentage than the photographer. If Alamy reversed this percentage then I will opt back in again.  Distributor and Alamy should get 30% each and the photographer should get 40%. Your thoughts?

I made about 350 sales last year. I opted out of the distribution deal because I cannot agree that the distributor should get a better percentage than the photographer. If Alamy reversed this percentage then I will opt back in again.  Distributor and Alamy should get 30% each and the photographer should get 40%. Your thoughts?

I haven't actually opted out, not from all of them anyway, as I would lose too many sales but I fully agree with the sentiment.  The distributor does the least and the photographer does the most and the percentage should reflect this.

Pearl

I haven't actually opted out, not from all of them anyway, as I would lose too many sales but I fully agree with the sentiment.  The distributor does the least and the photographer does the most and the percentage should reflect this.

Pearl

+1

Allan

I belong to several distribution schemes, where my percentage is 25% or less.  In some cases the fee I receive is derisory (G subscription for example), but in other cases, my annoyance is not with the 25% I get from elsewhere, but the 50% fees I get from UK sales, where I routinely expect to receive less than I do from other top economies (Japan, North America, Scandinavia, Germany etc) in spite of distributor share.  It seems to me that distribution is the only way to make any money in this business.   

Do resellers deserve more per sale than me?  Yes, if they are working as hard to sell my images as they are their own, and working hard to maintain good prices.

However, in the case of Alamy you may have a point.  You make 350 sales p.a. from a portfolio that contains a lot of foreign material and yet won’t really miss distributor sales?  If the scheme was working well, and the agents earning their keep, you wouldn’t even momentarily consider dropping it.

Nice to read some serious expectations here. Of course, author of product (image) should be the first to take the % pay. It should be obvious - who does the basic work?

I still can decide if opt out or stay with 30%. Maybe your thoughts will help.

Btw, I can't believe what (for example) istock does with 85/15%...

Alamy still deserves the big respect, but... it would be nice to see this respect back, from every agency. Maybe, some beautiful day...

Pearl

+1

Allan

+1

Also considering opting out....

Pearl

+1

Allan

+1

Also considering opting out....

+1 !

I opted out and back already xxx times.... Being most upset with those Russian spot sizes / print run 1000 :(

Couple months ago I got the best sale of the year - In Russia ! Confused! 

Most of all "I have a dream that one day we all agree...." 

Then I wouldn't only quit the D. scheme but I would even join you on barricades if need!

Pearl

I tend to agree. The creator should receive a higher % than the distributor. But I'm in the same boat, I make too many distributor sales (1/3 of my total in 2013) to consider dropping out. It would be interesting to hear Alamy's side of this argument -- i.e. why the distributor deserves more than the photographer.  

Archived