Ok, I am really getting wound up now. Every time I reverse google search my zooms I find unreported images by the Daily Mail. I can only wonder how many I would find if I searched all my images.

And I am not talking about recently used by them as I know it takes time for them and other papers to report, I am talking about going back 6 months plus, and in some cases years .

As it stands it does not affect the daily mail nor alamy. Daily mail pay the same every month to alamy and alamy receive the same every month from the daily mail, whether images have been correctly reported or not. The only losers are us, even though it is a pittance

Maybe if alamy charged the daily mail the calculator rate every time an image is not reported by them then the money men at the daily mail would soon get on top of it as it would cost them money

I have complained many times to MS about this but nothing changes. maybe if everyone who agrees with the fact that the daily mail needs to be sorted out could +1 this thread it might serve as a form of petition to alamy to show what we as contributors feel about it. Its bad enough the low fees but the fact that we have to chase them up is just ridiculous

Kevin

That's strictly not true if I understand the Newspaper Scheme correctly. The scheme is for usage unto a finite number of images per month. Go over that and they pay more - either at a higher tier or per image.

Either way - the use should be reported, and if not then followed up.

They pay a set amount of money per month for an amount of images and then the amount is divided by the amount of images used and that ends up as the payment per image. The fee is always between $5 - $7 so I doubt they pay any more. Anyway, this is about incorrect reporting and wanting them to get their act together. If someone gets images at a low price for a deal then they should at least correctly report

They do buy archival rights for the duration of the article so images are retained on the web for months, but I would hope that Alamy would press for payment in all cases where no sale has ever been reported. My impression is that the DM is getting better at recording sales, while my experience has been that Alamy will chase unreported usage and that payment will eventually result.

It's the only reason that I ever look at the DM website!  :rolleyes:

all I can say is how often does everyone check their all their images on google reverse search. They are definitely not getting better in my case and I never said that alamy did not chase them up, but only when we find them which we should not have to do but by the responses I guess no one is bothered so I guess we carry on as we are.

As for why do I stay in it, because of the sales I get with other newspapers who do report. If I could check a box to exclude the daily mail I would

Kevin

all I can say is how often does everyone check their all their images on google reverse search. They are definitely not getting better in my case and I never said that alamy did not chase them up, but only when we find them which we should not have to do but by the responses I guess no one is bothered so I guess we carry on as we are.

As for why do I stay in it, because of the sales I get with other newspapers who do report. If I could check a box to exclude the daily mail I would

Kevin

I agree on the check box. I would also exclude the Daily Mail and if I was Alamy I would build in a penalty charge if their staff time was being spent chasing non payment for image use.

it's our loss and Alamy's loss. Did James say in one of his blog videos that they were going to review the newspaper scheme, i hope it's soon as Kevin is right we don't have time to trawl through image search

and shouldn't have to if a "reputable"! newspaper has signed up to a scheme.Our time should be for taking, uploading and key wording the images, 

Regards

Craig

The press must have thought all their Christmasses had come at once when this deal/these deals were signed off. Guaranteed quality, via the QC mechanism, dirt cheap prices.....................and, lest we forget, the Daily Fail is the holder up of all that is good and virtuous in the UK! The press/media lead the pack in low/no repro rates so don't be alarmed when it goes squiffy!
And, on that note, may I wish all contributors and Alamy staff a happy and healthy 2014. (that should send my currently stuck green arrow into orbit!!).

Best wishes all,

nj 

I have also had the same problem with The Guardian and Telegraph, as I suspect have others. It is most frustrating.

My understanding is that the newspapers have negotiated a fixed amount payable per month which is divided by the reported sales to determine the Alamy price per image. Question - who pays for the unreported sales? It would make sense for Alamy to charge a penal price to the papers on unreported sales on the basis that they have to administer and chase them up and have to deal with the disillusioned photographers. The all round inertia and rubbish prices I have received after chasing suggest that they have not been that commercial.

While I understand the need for such deals with volume buyers I strongly feel that there must be the quid pro quo that it is correctly and fairly administered.

dov

I left the newspaper scheme last year, more because of the unreported sales than the extremely low prices. If I had confidence that I was getting paid for every use I might put up with the low price(up to a point).  As it stand at the moment its just not worth the effort to try and track sales. I really don't understand why it takes 6 month minimum to actually get paid either.

I have several unreported Daily Mail uses - wonder how they will be billed!!!!

I have several unreported Daily Mail uses - wonder when they will be billed!!!!

I have several unreported Daily Mail uses - wonder how they will be billed!!!!

I have several unreported Daily Mail uses - wonder when they will be billed!!!!

Probably 1 to 2 months after you chase MS.

dov

Don't know why I got a red mark for that post!!

It was supposed to be tongue in cheek.

In any case it's now over 2 months since I've chased MS.

Happy new year to you all too!

John.

Archived