Bleak Mid Winter?

Philippe, I bought myself a five-month early retirement once in Spain, in Ibiza and Mallorca.  It wasn't easy, but I managed not to learn any Spanish or Catalán and certainly no Basque, a language only learned on a mother's knee, they say. They are great cooks there. I really miss living in Europe.  :(

Eight sales so far for a little over $500 total, a couple of lowball newspaper uses balanced by $149 and $175 uses. Pleased to see that the effort of recovering images from pre-2003 from a selection of DAT tape backups was worthwhile, some shot as early as 1997 on Leaf Lumina, etc, submitted as archive images as the size/sharpness actually doesn't stand up against modern digital methods (they made perfectly good full page repros though). First one now sold.

This is my first December on Alamy so I haven't got experiences of other years. But until now, this is my first good month because my first "good" sales are popping up :) I say good sales because the others were "peanuts" like you say sometimes here :P  We'll keep working!

(Sorry for my english! :wacko:)

Pssssst ..... just between you and me. Your English is better than some native English posting here ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

And so much better than our Basque, eh, Philippe? 

Hey ho, speak for yourself, Ed :D

Ed Rooney egunkariak erosten dizkit. B) ................ (Nooooo, this isn't Klingon, it's Basque. Maybe Ainara can translate it for you?)

Cheers,

Philippe :P

Wow! Your basque isn't bad Philippe! And Ed, Basque is a difficult language to learn, but with some beers and "pintxos" on the old town of San Sebastian, any language is more easy and funny to learn  :P

Great! I will go for the beers and the pintxos, whatever that is, but I doubt I'll come away with any Basque. I do speak Italian, and sometimes when I hear people speaking Catalan, I mistake it for Italian and wonder why I'm missing everything.  :)

This is my first December on Alamy so I haven't got experiences of other years. But until now, this is my first good month because my first "good" sales are popping up :) I say good sales because the others were "peanuts" like you say sometimes here :P  We'll keep working!

(Sorry for my english! :wacko:)

Pssssst ..... just between you and me. Your English is better than some native English posting here ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

And so much better than our Basque, eh, Philippe? 

Hey ho, speak for yourself, Ed :D

Ed Rooney egunkariak erosten dizkit. B) ................ (Nooooo, this isn't Klingon, it's Basque. Maybe Ainara can translate it for you?)

Cheers,

Philippe :P

Wow! Your basque isn't bad Philippe!

Eskerrik asko :) Euskal Herria oso polita da. Ed Rooney erretzaileentzako gela nahi nuke. :lol: :lol:

Gabon eta ondo lo egin!

Osasuna!

Philippe

Martian?

Wow! Your basque isn't bad Philippe!

Eskerrik asko :) Euskal Herria oso polita da. Ed Rooney erretzaileentzako gela nahi nuke. :lol: :lol:

Gabon eta ondo lo egin!

Osasuna!

Philippe

Martian?

Nope! Nor is it Klingon. It's real Basque.

A greenie for he/she who can translate it :)

Cheers,

Philippe

Google translate says:

Thank you :) This is a very nice country. Ed Rooney smoking room on Christmas Eve, and I'd like to sleep well!

Health!

So, sorry, the best I can come up with is:

Thank you :) The Basque country is very nice (pretty/beautiful). 

<played around with this next bit for far too long - lots of variations.  Tried to get it to relate to pintxos or 'all round to Ed's place on Xmas Eve - he's cooking' or 'Ed's smokin!'', but just couldnt' work it out :(>

Sleep well. (unsure if this should be separate or is related to the last sentence?)

Cheers!

Not bad :) Certainly deserves a greenie :D

Ed Rooney egunkariak erosten dizkit = Ed Rooney buys the newspapers for me (Sorry, Ed ;))

Eskerrik asko = Thank you

Euskal Herria oso polita da = Basque Country is a beautiful country

Ed Rooney erretzaileentzako gela nahi nuke = Ed Rooney would like a non-smoking room (I know, doesn't make much sense :wacko:)

Gabon eta ondo lo egin! = Good night and sweet dreams!

Osasuna! = Cheers!

Osasuna,

Philippe

PS: I believe we're a bit off-topic :unsure:

Thanks, Philippe!

Maybe a little OT, yes, but it helps pass the Bleak Midwinter (Mid-winter, Mid winter) :)

Not bad :) Certainly deserves a greenie :D

Ed Rooney egunkariak erosten dizkit = Ed Rooney buys the newspapers for me (Sorry, Ed ;))

Eskerrik asko = Thank you

Euskal Herria oso polita da = Basque Country is a beautiful country

Ed Rooney erretzaileentzako gela nahi nuke = Ed Rooney would like a non-smoking room (I know, doesn't make much sense :wacko:)

Gabon eta ondo lo egin! = Good night and sweet dreams!

Osasuna! = Cheers!

Osasuna,

Philippe

PS: I believe we're a bit off-topic :unsure:

Only a small correction. Google translates Cheers like Osasuna, literally is ok, but in the practice is better to say "Agur bero bat" for example ;)

Phillippe said:- 

Kaixo, lagun!

Barkatu! ^_^ Ados nago zurekin. Nire euskara txarra da. Praktika besterik ez dut behar.

Zorterik onena opa dizut,

Philippe

So we are back to cameras now huh! :wacko:

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

No last-minute holiday rush here, that's for sure. Is anyone seeing any boxing week sales?

Still suitably bleak,  a few tuppenny newspaper sales, an equally unrewarding distributor sale and a refund recorded last week.......

No last-minute holiday rush here, that's for sure. Is anyone seeing any boxing week sales?

Still suitably bleak,  a few tuppenny newspaper sales, an equally unrewarding distributor sale and a refund recorded last week.......

Well, it is now officially winter in the Northern Hemisphere. That might have something to do with it. 

The sales gods dropped a sale in for $16.34 then the grim reaper came along with a refund for $12.56 for the same image.

Leaving me with $3.78.

Hard Times Ahead.

Regards

Craig

The sales gods dropped a sale in for $16.34 then the grim reaper came along with a refund for $12.56 for the same image.

Leaving me with $3.78.

Hard Times Ahead.

Regards

Craig

I had that as well - same numbers. But the $12.56 refund was for the original sale about a month ago - in other words, a sale for $12.56 was replaced by a sale for $16.34. Might this be the case with you, too?

I guess $16.34 is slightly better than $12.56 ;-)

Leaving me with $3.78.

Hard Times Ahead.

Regards

Craig

I had that as well - same numbers. But the $12.56 refund was for the original sale about a month ago - in other words, a sale for $12.56 was replaced by a sale for $16.34. Might this be the case with you, too?

I guess $16.34 is slightly better than $12.56 ;-)

No. The sale for $16.34 was followed about an hour later with a refund for $12.56 against the same image leaving me the difference from the 2 transactions.

I would have been happier if the $16.34 had been refunded and a sale for $12.56 applied. This is my first ever refund, is this how they are typically done?

Regards

Craig

No. The sale for $16.34 was followed about an hour later with a refund for $12.56 against the same image leaving me the difference from the 2 transactions.

I would have been happier if the $16.34 had been refunded and a sale for $12.56 applied. This is my first ever refund, is this how they are typically done?

Regards

Craig

Not sure of your logic there Craig, but, in answer to your question, my refunds have to date all been the result of a renegotiated deal, either for more, or generally less, than the original fee.

Regards

Craig

Not sure of your logic there Craig, but, in answer to your question, my refunds have to date all been the result of a renegotiated deal, either for more, or generally less, than the original fee.

Usually a refund of the original sale appears followed by a fresh sale at the lower price.

Bryan I suppose my logic was along the lines of what Spacecadet said. I have emailed Member services to query the refund.

Regards

Craig

check your previous month's sales...i had a lot of these 16.34/12.56 combinations last week....the 12.56 was the refund of a sale of the image in November, rebilled at 16.34

no mystery

km

Thank you Keith, having just looked back that is the answer no mystery indeed.

Regards

Craig

After a bleak summer and a bleak autumn, December has been my best month for some time. Some nice 3-figure sales and a Christmas Eve sale of the decorations in Barcelona from this time last year. Nothing since the big day but hoping for an end of year rush.

Archived