Unable to use Quote or add link in signature

CandyAppleRed Images

Hi

When I use the quote or multi quote the original message does not pull through. Also, I cannot add a link to my signature - the dialog box "enter" and "cancel" buttons remain greyed out.

I am using IE11 - any ideas?

Cheers

Dave

First thing to do would be to try a different browser - FIrefox and Safari both work. 

Thanks MDM - I have managed to get my sig up using Firefox, which I use for my drag/drop onto Google Images.

However I am used to IE however clunky it is, and reluctant to change to something else,so any fixes for the quote thing would be gratefully received.

I'm afraid no ideas here apart from a change of browser (just for Alamy forums perhaps). It's a long time since I used IE. It used to renowned for using non-standard code.

IE has improved no end since the days of IE6 and before and IE11 really can't be compared in any way to older versions.  It's a while since I've done any web development, but historically there have been security issues around use of text editors in browsers.  Generally, when restrictions have been there, it's been with the intention of protecting the end user.

Anyhoo...in order to resolve the problem, I would imagine that the developers of this forum software (Invision Power Services) would need to change the underlying code slightly in order to recognise when the browser being used is IE11 and alter the resultant output based on that knowledge such that the forum functionality is retained across browsers (i.e. so that it works ;)!)

If you do a search on GOG (good ol' google) you will find this subject being discussed and the developers of this forum mentioned, too (sample thread).  'Animal' on that thread suggests "Try disabling the editor by clicking the toggle in the upper left corner that looks like a light switch. That's the same work around for IE11. Then do your copy and paste."  A similar suggestion to that offered by me to IDP yesterday, on another thread here (direct link to my post with accompanying graphic - I've just got too much time on my hands!).

A forum admin on the thread I linked to (that forum is also powered by IP Board - a product of Invision Power Services) seemed to suggest that the problem had been fixed (20th Nov 2013), so I am sure that there is an update available which Alamy can investigate when they have the time.

I began a thread, which outlined various forum issues which now appear to have been successfully resolved.  Trouble is that it can often be the case that the end user (Alamy) will have to go into the code and manually add/alter/delete something, rather than just clicking a button!  If this is the case, then Alamy will prefer to put this on the back burner and concentrate on flogging our pictures!

So - in short: no immediate resolution, but Alamy guarantee to read the Suggestions and ideas sub-forums, so your woes will doubtless be dealt with in the fullness of time. :)

I'm afraid no ideas here apart from a change of browser (just for Alamy forums perhaps). It's a long time since I used IE. It used to renowned for using non-standard code.

IE has improved no end since the days of IE6 and before and IE11 really can't be compared in any way to older versions.  It's a while since I've done any web development, but historically there have been security issues around use of text editors in browsers.  Generally, when restrictions have been there, it's been with the intention of protecting the end user.

I'm sure it has changed. It was probably at its worst around IE4 and maybe 5 when they had all sorts of stuff in VBScript and extensions that would only work in IE etc, which led to a lot of confusion for developers and users alike. It's a case of give a dog a bad name (or maybe that should be rabbit)  :). I haven't used IE since I switched back to Mac some years ago now.

I'm sure it has changed. It was probably at its worst around IE4 and maybe 5 when they had all sorts of stuff in VBScript and extensions that would only work in IE etc, which led to a lot of confusion for developers and users alike. It's a case of give a dog a bad name (or maybe that should be rabbit)  :). I haven't used IE since I switched back to Mac some years ago now.

You're quite right, of course.  I used to (have to) have ~10-15 browsers/versions installed when I used to do Web design/development from home and IE was frequently the most troublesome.  I still have four installed (old habits and all that!) I moved on to Firefox when it first developed it's own branding from Mozilla quite some while ago.  Still very fond of Opera.  As you say, even with the undoubted improvements in IE, I have no immediate intentions of using it as my default browser anytime in the near future.

I stopped using IE many years before I went to a Mac, so these suggestions may or may not help. Dump all your temp, history, etc. from IE > Internet Options. Make sure Alamy.com is accepted both in IE and your Anti-virus/Firewall. There's another place to check within Internet Options, but I'll have to get on a PC to find it and pass it along later. Are you using Win 8? Or?

Archived