Sony RX10 Reviews

John, the zoom works with a button push or a manual turn, so yes it has a power zoom. Rather a silly idea, that, except for video. 

Charging the second battery took just 1.5 hours . . . so I guess it was partly charged by someone else. I don't see myself doing a full charge that often. 

And, Jeff . . . I very carefully attached the RX10 to that tiny table pod. No, you cannot use it vertically, but then you can't use it horizontally either . . . it would only work on a tiny very P&S camera. Frankly, it's useless junk.  This one might work: 

I see that my Leica table pod, which I've had forever, sells for about $350 on eBay now.  :unsure:

Is this a bridge camera? I see it as a much more solid, serious piece of equipment . . . a bridge to where? It's a whole new category. Of course I haven't shot with it yet.  :)

Charging - it comes with the same battery as the amateur range DSLRs/DSLTs, all NEX models and the A7 models - not the smaller battery of the RX1/RX100. I have two chargers already.

Ed

Do you not have a Nex charger that will fit the RX10 batteries? See David's comment quoted above.

Really looking forward to hearing your user report. I'm seriously considering this camera.

Christine

Charging - it comes with the same battery as the amateur range DSLRs/DSLTs, all NEX models and the A7 models - not the smaller battery of the RX1/RX100. I have two chargers already.

Ed

Do you not have a Nex charger that will fit the RX10 batteries? See David's comment quoted above.

Really looking forward to hearing your user report. I'm seriously considering this camera.

Christine

You and David are absolutely correct, Christine: the RX10 and the NEX cameras use the same NP-FW50 battery. I went back and forth on this yesterday at the shop, and so I wanted to check the numbers on both batteries with a magnifying glass (can't read them with my naked eye) before posting it here.  So yes, those of us who have an NEX have the charger to use so they can charge a battery without using the camera. I have not checked if one can buy the charger separately, but perhaps that is possible.

Thanks for mentioning it.  

It's too bad, but there's no sun today. I wanted to do some test shooting in contrasty light. I will test the RX10 today with RAW and jpeg. Sorry, but I won't be posting any images on here because I never use any of the Flickr-type free sites. 

Ed

Christine

You and David are absolutely correct, Christine: the RX10 and the NEX cameras use the same NP-FW50 battery. I went back and forth on this yesterday at the shop, and so I wanted to check the numbers on both batteries with a magnifying glass (can't read them with my naked eye) before posting it here.  So yes, those of us who have an NEX have the charger to use so they can charge a battery without using the camera. I have not checked if one can buy the charger separately, but perhaps that is possible.

Thanks for mentioning it.  

It's too bad, but there's no sun today. I wanted to do some test shooting in contrasty light. I will test the RX10 today with RAW and jpeg. Sorry, but I won't be posting any images on here because I never use any of the Flickr-type free sites. 

Whad'ya know, Sony actually did something customer-friendly and kept the same battery type. Perhaps they are finally getting the message.

Same battery is also used in the A7 models, all NEX, most of the Alpha models in the newer 3/5 series from A55 onwards. It was too large for the RX1 an the RX100 it seems, but actually Sony has stuck to just three main battery types. For the larger Alphas, there is a single battery type at it has applied from mid-2007 onwards. Only the Alpha 100, the first in the series, had a sort of legacy battery (selected clearly to match Minolta circuitry). Since then there have been only two battery types used across the entire Alpha and NEX range, now joined by the RX10 and A7 models.

Here's a problem, if hopefully a temporary one.  At the moment, neither Lightroom nor PS recognize RX10 RAW files.  Annoying, but then I have been meaning to test out the practicalities of shooting jpegs for Alamy instead of RAW.  You have been suggesting that, David?  

Hello? Adobe? What's happenin' babe? 

Here's a problem, if hopefully a temporary one.  At the moment, neither Lightroom nor PS recognize RX10 RAW files.  Annoying, but then I have been meaning to test out the practicalities of shooting jpegs for Alamy instead of RAW.  You have been suggesting that, David?  

Just had a look at Capture One and the RX10 is not supported by them yet either.

Allan

Ed, I know you're not a fan of Sony's clunky (but free) Image Data Converter software, but you could use it to process the RAW files in the meantime. If you decide to do this, make sure you use the latest version 4.x as it's quite an improvement over the earlier ones. IDC should also (I believe) silently apply to the RAW files any in-camera lens distortion and CA correction options that you've activated.

Same battery is also used in the A7 models, all NEX, most of the Alpha models in the newer 3/5 series from A55 onwards. It was too large for the RX1 an the RX100 it seems, but actually Sony has stuck to just three main battery types. For the larger Alphas, there is a single battery type at it has applied from mid-2007 onwards. Only the Alpha 100, the first in the series, had a sort of legacy battery (selected clearly to match Minolta circuitry). Since then there have been only two battery types used across the entire Alpha and NEX range, now joined by the RX10 and A7 models.

Sorry, Sony. I take it all back.

Thanks, Gervais.  I'm download 5.3 now, was on 5.2.  :)

Actually, the jpegs looked very good . . . but . . . since I pulled them all into LR and fiddled with them anyway, I haven't saved any time over shooting RAW.  Storage space I saved (shrug). I intended to shoot just tests today, but I ended up getting a bunch of holiday images. 

One thing I find annoying: the RX10 shuts itself off too quickly when I stop shooting.  And it does not come back to life quickly, either.  Please, Sony, don't be saving my battery for me . . . just hang in there.  

Archived