OS 10.9 Mavericks and PhotoShop

After my recent upgrade to Mountain Lion a few months ago,I am still finding many of my utilities and programs are now crippleware and not useable.

So,I think I will try and hold off another year.It's going to take me that long to find all of my stuff anyway from the last time.I

had to do a clean install and that was too much work for one human!

Good luck Stacy,let us know!
L

Stacy, I took the jump last night, being somewhat dim and fool hearty.  It's too soon for me to have any meaningful opinions, but here's a heads-up: it took over 5 hours to download. There was a small issue with Photoshop CS5, but Apple invited me to download . . . something (I'm still asleep) and that fixed things. I'll post here if there are any problems.

Just make sure you have a hunk of time in front of you before you begin. There are a few points where you'll have to interact. 

Good luck (I was hoping the next OS would be called Alley Cat).

Ed

Brave jump that for a man who proclaimed a dislike of Lion and Mountain Lion. Best of luck with it. I like trying out new stuff but I think I'll wait a few weeks as there are almost always issues with a brand new OS release.

The issue with Photoshop has been around for the last few releases of the OS - something to do with Java and Apple not including it as part of the normal install for security reasons. But Adobe vehemently claim that Photoshop does not use Java in any way and that Apple are at fault. In any case, it's a simple, fix - download Java.

While I love all my Apple products, experience has taught me the hard way to wait a while before upgrading to the latest OS. If everything that you need is still working well, what's the hurry? Let others get the glitches and patches sorted out first (my good wife's sound advice).

Dave

"Brave jump that for a man who proclaimed a dislike of Lion and Mountain Lion. Best of luck with it. I like trying out new stuff but I think I'll wait a few weeks as there are almost always issues with a brand new OS release.

The issue with Photoshop has been around for the last few releases of the OS - something to do with Java and Apple not including it as part of the normal install for security reasons. But Adobe vehemently claim that Photoshop does not use Java in any way and that Apple are at fault. In any case, it's a simple, fix - download Java." -- MDM

Yes, Java was what the new OS asked me if they could download. I said yes, and they did. So far so good. 

I've had completely trouble-free upgrades from Leopard onwards aside from programs and/or hardware that is no longer supported but that is part of life. I'm still going to wait a few weeks as I don't need to take chances right now.

The Apple forums are always an excellent source of help if you run into trouble. And various Mac online magazines are very good at giving tips about new features or changes - MacWorld for instance.

I decided to go for it...... updated the laptop (2012 Macbook Air) first so I could still use the iMac if things went pear shaped!!

So far, no issues. I've been able to open files in CS6 without any issues and Capture One Pro 7 works as well. The update carries out a check before opening for the first time and tells you if you have an app that won't work. I had one, Little Snitch, but there was an update for that and that also works now.

I haven't used LR for a while, only have LR4 but that also opens / works without any issues. Last thing to check will be if the Wacom Intuos 4 tablet will work or not.... or if there is an update.

Edit.... So far it's working very well. There seems to be a performance improvement, noticeably quicker at opening up apps and browsing etc. Can't believe it's a free update as well!!! Nice one Apple

It was Mountain Lion I had a problem with. Snow Leopard and earlier OS's allowed us to see how much space we had left on the HD and any window. That's gone because of the march into the Cloud, no doubt. Now I have to dig to find out that basic information. 

Speaking of which . . . I'm almost out of space on both my HD and my backup, stand alone HD.  I'm going to have to start trying to understand iCloud.

In the next week I'll be getting an iPad mini, the present model, not the newest model that's coming in November with Retina. The present model has dropped $50 to $300 in price in anticipation of the newer one.  

It was Mountain Lion I had a problem with. Snow Leopard and earlier OS's allowed us to see how much space we had left on the HD and any window. That's gone because of the march into the Cloud, no doubt. Now I have to dig to find out that basic information. 

Speaking of which . . . I'm almost out of space on both my HD and my backup, stand alone HD.  I'm going to have to start trying to understand iCloud.

In the next week I'll be getting an iPad mini, the present model, not the newest model that's coming in November with Retina. The present model has dropped $50 to $300 in price in anticipation of the newer one.  

Ed. Do you mean the reading at the bottom of a Finder window which shows the amount of space left on the drive and the number of items in the folder? If so, then all you need to do is open a FInder window, go to the View menu and choose Show Status Bar - I'm talking Lion or Mountain LIon,

Thanks MDM! Didn't realise I could do that, very useful.

I won't be upgrading either till I've got a day spare to make sure everything works ok. ;)

De nada Phil. May your spare days be very rare.

Says it will take 48 minutes to download 5.9GB here, so I'm going to do it with my iMac. I am using Adobe CC for InDesign and PS, and the performance has been terrible (notably with InDesign CC which is jerky compared to the CS6 version, probably a font-overload issue and may do a big font clearout if nothing gets better). Since CC is fully optimised for Maverick and it's my main production environment, I am prepared to risk upgrading during the middle of various projects/mags.

I'm going to let you Maverick Pioneers do this dance without me.I'll be watching and learning from you.

I plan on backing up my HD and getting the zillions of photos on my desktop archived first.

L

After backing up my hard drive I finally decided to take the leap. The download only took about an hour with my 15/1 cable connection but installation seemed to take twice as long. So far everything looks good and my computer seems faster, but I haven't tried to scan or PhotoShop yet.

Am thinking of going from Microsoft PC to iMac. Fortunately I see all new iMacs come with Maveriks installed already.

BUT I think I will wait a little longer to let the dust settle. B)

Allan

So far, no bad news, Allan. Surely a good sign.  :)

Hi Ed,

Seems there are one or two glitches so far, not just on this forum either. And, of course, not so easy migrating from one OS to another.

Early days.

Allan

Don't know what those glitches are, Allan. Certainly getting Java to run Photoshop can't be thought of as a glitch. The download was long and frustrating for me; I don't have Cable and in fact don't have a TV, but Stacy and David downloaded in about an hour. The OS on my new iPad mini is design to work with Marvericks . . . although so far I've only spent my mini time playing Virtual Pool.   B)

One of the smoothest updates I've ever done. 1 hour to download, 1 hour or so (not sure, eating) to install, then another hour later on during which a lot of updates were acquired in the background and installed without even a restart. All working very well so far and nothing broken.

Archived