Sales wants forum

Allan Bell

How about a sales/wants forum of photographic equipment for Alamy contributors?

I am sure that there is a case to be made for it.

Allan

Good idea. 

Why not start Selling and Wanted posts (like the Images Found posts), and see how mother Alamy responds to a bit of cash flow via the forum  :ph34r: (not sure if mom will like it, though!).

Come on Alamy. Let us know what you think.

Maybe the forum moderators/admin would like to set up a dedicated section for Alamy contributors only.

Allan

• 1 year later...

I guess setting up what would amount to a portal for buying and selling camera gear (or anything else) would create potential problems for the host. It would be only a matter of time before some deal went pear-shaped and then someone would be looking for redress. Buyer beware sure, but someone would have to moderate.

A nice idea though; I've got a whole shedload of gear in excellent shape. Some one out there is longing for lovingly preserved old Canon F1s and FD lenses and Pentax 67 clobber. Or maybe not? I never use my Nikon Supercool Scan 9000 either; it did a fine job on my archive, but that's done now.

Robert (in Suffolk)

Hi Robert,

I am not suggesting Alamy act like an online auction site.  All I am suggesting is a dedicated section where members could advertise their Sales/Wants, then everything else would be done through PM's initially then emails between consenting parties.

Allan

Hi Robert,

I am not suggesting Alamy act like an online auction site.  All I am suggesting is a dedicated section where members could advertise their Sales/Wants, then everything else would be done through PM's initially then emails between consenting parties.

Allan

Good idea.

I have much preferred selling/buying equipment through other photography forums without any issues whatsoever and could see it working well here.

Hey, we could use the ratings system as the equivalent of ebay's seller recommendations (or whatever they call it) ;)  . . . then again, that would make it a bit tricky if . . . oh I don't know, picking someone at random . . . one potato, two potato . . . what about "rhymes with bugle" . . . had a lot of really good gear to sell . . . ;)  ;) 

Otherwise, I think it's a good idea, we do mostly know each other and many have met . . . does that make it better I wonder? :-)

dd

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit of a grey area in terms of the rules around what we're allowed to use the forum for, Robert is right. Also - before long, a sale goes wrong from an official forum with our name on it and all of a sudden we're in the middle of a legal argument. 

This won't be possible, sorry.

Alamy

• 1 year later...

Too bad. The Nikonians do have a buy/sale forum and make themselves very clear you are on your own, no recourse to the site, and can never complain nor post against somebody after a transaction. Although when I've offered something for sale, I've had people who bought from me previously make remarks to my new posting like, "she can be trusted to send the equipment promptly, it is clean and the condition is as advertised."bi sold off the last of my Nikon stuff there.

It is very workable done that way. I sold a fair amount of gear there, always going through PayPal. But that is for Nikon gear for the most part. Although lots of tripods, plates, bags, lights and other peripheral items are bought and sold.

That could work here with those caveats. Only better, because all brands would be offered.

Betty

Betty - Alamy would be dragged into conflicts of sales regardless of what messaging we put saying that 'you're on your own'.

Our resources are better diverted elsewhere.

This is an old thread that has been resurrected but our message is the same as before, it won't be possible, sorry.

Alamy

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Alamy,

It is a very good idea, I also think that we, on the forum, are really good at "policing" ourselves.

Keeping in mind that I have a 100%+ rating on over 300 transactions on eBay. 

I think it would be a 100% plus for Alamy and Alamy contributors.

Chuck

• 2 months later...

I guess setting up what would amount to a portal for buying and selling camera gear (or anything else) would create potential problems for the host. It would be only a matter of time before some deal went pear-shaped and then someone would be looking for redress. Buyer beware sure, but someone would have to moderate.

A nice idea though; I've got a whole shedload of gear in excellent shape. Some one out there is longing for lovingly preserved old Canon F1s and FD lenses and Pentax 67 clobber. Or maybe not? I never use my Nikon Supercool Scan 9000 either; it did a fine job on my archive, but that's done now.

Robert (in Suffolk)    Hello, Robert.  I have mant times admired your images, but the reason for this email about the Nikon Scan 9000. Is it still for sale ? and at what price ?

Best regards

Brian Lawrence    01476 590683

Archived