losdemas

Given the huge progress with Web technologies in the last couple of years, specifically HTML5 and CSS3, and given the device/vendor-specific problems with Adobe Flash (think Apple/Adobe clash; MS Silverlight; among other issues) and the fact that this technology seems to be on its last legs, is it not time for Alamy to ditch Flash once and for all?

We have all had problems with Manage Images v2.4 from time to time, but these don't seem to be going away.  In the long-term, relying on a vendor-specific solution seems to be asking for trouble in this rapidly changing field.

EDIT: Of course, I don't know for sure that the issues with Manage Images v2.4 are caused by Flash.  Do Alamy?  I wish they would give us a clue!

I'm convinced the issues are somewhere between Flash and the chosen browser. Firefox always gave me headaches on MIv2 even though I had auto updates for Flash set. 

But so far I've not had problems when using Chrome, my now default browser - and I thank my son for ordering me to do so. 

Rgds,

Richard.

I would totally agree on ditching Flash, there are better ways and solutions now.

It would help if Alamy could say if there are any known issues with Manage Images 2.4, with Flash, or whatever? It would at least save us some time trying out different solutions and fixes. I have made sure my Flash is up to date and working this morning, but 2.4 still won't work for me in Chrome but works in Firefox. 

• 4 months later...

Adobe Flash is not supported on Android devices like my NEX 6 tablet.  It would be really, really nice to be able to manage images and tweak keywords with my tablet.

NOTE:  Any after-market work-around patches for Flash leave your device open to hacking. 

• 4 months later...

Absolutely agree. Flash is an ongoing security risk. Just because of Alamy I haven't deleted it yet.

Yesterday another serious security risk has been discovered that gives complete control over compromised systems to hackers and Adobe is urging users of its Flash Player software to upgrade to a newer version as soon as possible.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/02/adobe-pushes-fix-for-flash-zero-day-attack/
http://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/flash-player/apsb14-04.html

Archived